Statement of purpose and beliefs for the Joplin Area Catholic Schools
Our recognition of a mandate from Christ leads us to the following principles:
- That all human beings of every race, condition, and age enjoy a specific dignity as human beings and have an inalienable right to an education that is in keeping with their ultimate goal. A true education aims at the full formation of every individual.
- We believe that a democratic society is the most desirable way of life for civilization as we know it.
- We believe that this way of life is perpetuated through the education of the members of this society. Society will benefit by fitting our educational goals to each student’s developmental level, ability, interest, and desire.
- We believe that individuals should be useful members of a democratic society, and that such membership implies acceptance of responsibilities as well as privileges.
- We hold that each Catholic school should strive to realize the threefold purpose of Christian education: to teach doctrine, to build community, and to serve. The Catholic school is a most effective means for the education of children and young people.
- In fully helping students develop mentally, physically, emotionally, socially, spiritually, and culturally, we believe teaching is a cooperative effort among administrators, parents, teachers, and students.
- We believe that learning is most effective when the individual is the focus. This is enhanced when the individuals involved are working toward clearly defined goals and objectives, and the individuals are interested in and concerned about the materials they are going to master.
The Joplin Area Catholic Schools System provides students a strong academic and Catholic faith foundation. Our goal is to teach young people to integrate Christian values into all aspects of life.
We provide students with educational and social skills needed to be active, productive members of the community and Church.
We endeavor to graduate young adults who are effective witnesses to the presence of Christ in the world.
St. Mary's Elementary School
3025 South Central City Road
Joplin, MO 64804
St. Peter's Middle School
931 South Byers Avenue
Joplin, MO 64801
McAuley Catholic High School
930 South Pearl Avenue
Joplin, MO 64801